Thread: Via Air
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by Knobcrk1 View Post
So what is the actual schedule like? Say you have to come into base from another city. I understand they pay for you positive space and give you a hotel but how long are you doing this? So you're living in a hotel when on working days?
Unless you live in the base SFB or AUS you will be flown from home, and be in hotels the entire time. You're either in a hotel in the base, or at the outstation. Most overnights are in base. The big difference from other regionals being if you are short call reserve (RAP), you get a hotel always. Basically, unlike other regionals you will never need a crashpad, nor will you ever have to jumpseat to/from work. If you are on duty 12 or more hours, they buy you lunch of your choice from whatever is available at the airport (don't screw this up ordering lobster from Legal Seafoods).

Basically, act and perform like a professional and you are actually treated like one. A novel idea for a regional.

Their biggest flaw in my opinion, is they are always late putting out the schedules for the following month. It hasn't been unheard of to not get your schedule until a few days before the first of the following month. It really does happen. No excuse for it, since the flight schedules are in the reservations systems for months ahead so pax can book.

You're paid a salary which is a daily pay, regardless if you're short call, flying, or cancelled for MX you get the same pay, unlike a few airlines, a day off at a hotel is still a paid day. The only time you may end up unpaid would be a long call at home that you weren't used with less than 16 days away from home total for the month.

I liked it there.

If it helps a typical schedule could look like

1 - fly to base, go to hotel
2 - fly 2, 4 or 6 legs
3 - fly 2, 4 or 6 legs
4 - Short Call from Hotel
5 - fly 2, 4 or 6 legs
6 - fly 4 or 6 legs
7 - 30 hour at hotel
8 - fly 2, 4 or 6 legs
9 - fly 2, 4, or 6 legs
10 - fly home

An 8 day trip would have the short call be your 30 hour

They try to do your 16 days on blocks or two trips per month. it gets broken up in various ways.
10/6
8/8
9/7
or even all 16 at once, but they don't go over 9 or 10 without your permission. They have a guy who asks to never go home, they just 30 hour him all over the place and pay him lots of overtime. Technically it's 18 days, but those last two days are long call at home and nobody has ever been actually called.

The schedules are the weakest part of the company in my opinion. There's no consistency involved at all. Still, they treat their pilots better than most regionals.

Last edited by Cujo665; 06-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.