UnusualAttitude
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2008
  • Position
    B767
Why PBS and the new SWW/SLG is inappropriate for Purple:

Schedules at Purple are not apples to apples when compared to our pax flying brothers and sisters. We all know this to be true.

Our new SLG completely abandons the “scientifically based fatigue risk mitigation” schedule construction that we hear about so often and instead only looks at seniority. Due to the fact that we begin a new pairing every time we transit our base this can create some very unfortunate trip sequences with absolutely no regard to safety and instead only in response to inputs and solutions resulting from seniority.

The SLG creates schedules that would never have passed muster with the SIG. This is largely due to the fact that the SLG only looks at two parameters when assigning a trip: 1. Is it legal, 2.
Does it meet bid constraints for this pilot, if the answer to number 2 is no, trip is assigned basically as required coverage to meet credit requirements with no regard to other assigned trips or proven fatigue mitigation line building techniques.

I know the old system was essentially human form PBS at least a trained human with knowledge of the operation looked at the solution and made an attempt to be somewhat cognizant of the requirements for some schedule consistency.

For this system to work consistently will require us to completely revamp the way trips are built (I.e. a week of hub turns is just one big trip, not a series of trips) or some type of further human review of awards will have to take place.

Just my opinion.

-UA