View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 PM
deadstick35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
I understand what you are up against. However, hooks and contracts might not be the best approach. The right pay, benefits, and QOL will bring you every applicant you need. You won’t even need right seat time building to get them. Of course, the money has to come from somewhere (the customer). 135 feeder freight might someday be a 300hr job if 121 pay out does it. I know people who flight instructed for 2-3000hrs because they had to. Now, many more options open where you can instruct 250hrs, fly jumpers or 135vfr up to 1200.
The thing is that the right seat meat isn’t required. The company really has no reason to fill that position unless it helps them long-term. They’re an expense that only subtracts from the bottom line unless they stay.

I just realized...this is a perfect way to resurrect PFT/PFJ. I’m NOT advocating it, but if there’s no guarantee the SIC will stick around after they hit ATP mins, why should the company take a huge gamble with salary and training costs? However, if the pilot forks over $xxxxx, then works to PIC qualification AND then works as a PIC for 18 months, they get that upfront money returned plus interest. What about that?

It still sucks, but the company doesn’t need SICs who aren’t required by certification or operation. They need PICs.