View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Cessnadriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Default Lateral move from Mesaba to SkyWest??

I was hired with Mesaba as a Saab FO roughly 6 months ago. Prior to getting hired with Mesaba, I had been interviewed with SkyWest, but didn’t get the job. SkyWest was my first choice because I live in Milwaukee and would like to avoid the commute if I can. Also, I would eventually like to move out west. Denver or Salt Lake would both be places I would like to live. I have absolutely no problem with Mesaba, I just don’t like to commute and I’m not terribly interested in living in any of Mesaba’s bases.

So here’s the dilemma. Do I try to interview with SkyWest again and give up six months of seniority to end my commute or do I stick it out with Mesaba? I love Mesaba, I just don’t like commuting. Mesaba has seen a lot of growth, so I have gotten quite a bit of seniority for only being there for six months.

Commuting to any of Mesaba’s bases (MSP, DTW or MEM) is relatively easy, so it’s not a total nightmare. In the long run, I would really like to move to Denver though (a SkyWest domicile). Having a good schedule and good QOL is more important to me than making a lot of money so I’m not 100% sure if I would make the jump to a major if I got on with SkyWest. I would probably be happier making less money and having good seniority at a regional. I know SkyWest is a good place, but would it be a good idea to plan on making a career out of it (I am in my mid 20’s)? If I did go to a major, I would prefer United since they have a Denver base. I guess, if I make a career at the regionals, giving up six months of seniority is not a big deal, but if I plan to make jump to a major, Mesaba’s sub 6 month upgrade is the way to go.

Basically, I am thinking of doing one of three things.
  • Stick with Mesaba and try for United in 5ish years. Commute to, a junior base from MKE or DEN in order to hold a better schedule.
  • Stick with Mesaba, move to MSP when my seniority can hold it as a base and try for United in 5ish years.
  • Make the jump to SkyWest. Start as Milwaukee based (junior base) for the first few years. Once I could hold Denver as a base and have a good schedule there, make the move to Denver. Would probably make a career at SkyWest.
I guess it comes down to this, would I want to make a career at Skywest?

Do you see Skywest keeping the Milwaukee Domicile for at least the next few years.

How do you see the hiring keeping up at Skywest? Will I build seniority quickly or do you see the hiring stopping in a few months?

What would you guys do in this situation?