Old 06-30-2018, 03:11 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by flyphisher View Post
Curious....of the fo’s That previously stated they would never have the ability to upgrade, how many have upgraded or are now bypassing? Whalesurfer? Cactus? Swedish? I think those posters previously stated about not being able to upgrade?

The scope victory (yes it’s a victory through and through) is a major game changer for new hires. A potential career changer. A precedence has been set and UPS is not free to expand and contract at will using contract carriers. If they want to grow the airline side business they have to do it in house. The monetary damages are the icing on the cake. The real win is the end date of outsourcing. Huge.

The upwards of 30m monetary penalty isn’t that much to UPS. But....it puts the failure on the radar to Wall Street especially under the Davis Doctrine. UPS will have a lot of explaining to do.

If the UPS BOD wants to ride this into the sunset that’s on them. I personally choose to think that’s a small chance. UPS hasn’t always been the innovator, but they’ve always been the leader. Hopefully they will wake up to the market forces of FedEx, Amazon etc. These are significant and capable companies.

I’d venture to say most all if not all believing they will never upgrade either have the option to upgrade before retirement or upgraded already.
Hmm.. I’m pretty sure I didn’t say I’ll never be able to upgrade? ..IF I did, it was an exaggeration to make a point about the super-long upgrades when compared to our peers. Still can’t do it by the way.
..but as hard as I’m trying I’m missing the point you’re trying to make? I agree with everything you said and applaud our EB. Frankly, I’m ecstatic they're able to pull that off and so quickly!

However, in what way is your comment helpful on this thread? I think you and I both (and many others) have been trying to help out those who’re trying to join our ranks. So why this comment? What does it have to do with ‘interviews and classes in 2018’??
Unless you imply that the ruling will spill over into more hiring? It’s very possible BUT maybe a separate ‘arbitrator ruling’ would’ve been better?

I can’t count how many times we’ve been asking people here to stay on topic so we may help ups wannabes who’re simply looking for advice. Years and years ago it was the gouge from APC which pointed me in the right direction. Trying to pay it back but it ain’t easy. Nowadays every thread turns into mudslinging.
You mention the anonymity of cheap shots but how is this different? I try to respect everyone’s views even if sometimes I vehemently disagree with their perspective.
This and other similar threads should be so easy - just plain hiring and interview gouge, nothing more and nothing else, but...