View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 07:20 AM
EMAW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
I appreciate all of the great info on this page! I have been looking into Wheels up for a while now but haven’t applied yet. I am a current 121 pilot pretty close to upgrade but the medical coverage at my carrier is forcing my wife to continue working so we can use her coverage. The out of pocket costs will eat up a huge part of my paycheck if I put my family on my coverage. We are expecting our first child any day now so I would like to have her not work here in the next few years if possible.

I have a few other questions, forgive me if they have been asked already in this thread or the others.

-Since you’re gone for 8 days at a time, do you find the time to knock out laundry on the road? Roughly how long are the overnights?

-On average, do you fly every day of the 8 days scheduled? Do you ever get airlined to different locations mid trip? Anytime at all to take in some sights here and there?

-How reliable is the King Air mx wise? Do you have a good amount of resources on the road if the plane does break down?

-Is medical really 100 percent covered for the family with no money coming out of your paycheck?

-Do you guys have EFB’s or are you still using paper charts? If you’re using EFB’s, is it a company paid IPAD or similar?

-What cell phone service do you go with as I’m sure you’re making many phone calls during the trip for various reasons? Does the company cover international calls if you don’t have an international plan?

-How is the King Air in icing? I fly a Q400 at the moment and icing is a non issue but I’ve flown a caravan before and icing could be an issue pretty quickly if it was heavy and that wasn’t a good time

-Are guys/gals moving on to LCC’s or major’s if they choose to go 121? Are people leaving for other 135 outfits? What is the main reason for attrition since the upgrade in pay and better schedules have come about?

-Are there many pilots coming from the regionals? Or would I be going against the flow of traffic?

-I noticed one person saying you get to keep the airline miles you rack up while the company pays for your tickets? How does that work? If you are allowed those miles, can you use that for your family as well, or is it strictly for you?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I am finding it hard to walk away from 121 as this is my second regional and there is a “pathway” program to our mainline partner but I have always wanted to fly the King Air and reading that things are improving I feel like I may enjoy that type of flying more. What I know I will enjoy is not stressing about a commute and being able to live where my family lives as it is within 2 hours of PDX.
Some guys do laundry, I don’t usually need to. Don’t count on having more than 10 hrs off.

It varies very fluid operation and whatever scheduling assigns is what you’ll do.

It’s fairly reliable. If it breaks, how to fix it is not our concern. We have a tremendous support staff.

Premiums are 100% covered by the company. Only pay if you actually use it, I.e. copay.

Company issued phones. Verizon. Don’t worry bout your own.

KingAir is fine in icing.

Either way. To each his own.

We keep all of our reward points for hotels, airlines. Use them as you wish. Company has no interest in them.

You’re making this too hard. If you want to WORK for a living and try 135, this is the best outfit. But you do your own flight planning, including performance, W&B, and fuel decisions. Ops is there for support. But the paperwork is on you.