Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Then I will take the opposite view and say - GET OUT!

Nothing worse than doing something day in and day out that you can't stand anymore.

Now....some of the realities of life are going to hit you square in the face possibly.

"Greener" is relative. I've not done the airlines, but out of the flying ops I've done outside of the military (and one of them was even pseudo-military), I've not found the flying profession "greener" than the military flying. I'll say that I seemed to have enjoyed my military career much more than many on the forum so I look back very fondly of my time flying high performance military aircraft and doing much of the same things that you are currently doing in your career. Btw - I'm assuming you are a DET OIC on your deployment right now - not a squadron commander.

I remember a real gung-ho Executive Officer I had one time in my first fleet squadron. I was standing outside the office as he was having a conversation with a near end of tour senior Captain. The Captain was telling him how he was planning on getting out and pursuing the airlines - this was back in the mid-90s - so airline hiring was hot. Though I expected this hard charging XO to read him the riot act, he basically thanked him for his service, told him that he had done more in service to his country than most ever would, and best of luck to his future goals. I was floored, but always took that view with me when I had the chance in later years to sit across from those young enlisted or officers who had served their commitments and were looking to transition to opportunities outside of the military.

I say all of that to wish you the best of luck if you decide to leave military service. I would also encourage you to pursue those opportunities outside of military if you can't stand to fly in the USAF any longer for whatever purpose. I know personally I don't enjoy flying with someone who wishes they weren't there in that flight with me or sharing that cockpit with me.

Not sure I agree with the previous posters statement of 'crappy TRICARE'. It certainly isn't free, but when I learned of the cost some of my family members were paying for health insurance, I'll take that little bit of trying times I've had finding TRICARE providers to the reduced cost of TRICARE of retirees. It has been good for me, even with the numerous increases in premiums since I retired.

In the end - I say that if you want to be an airline pilot - go be an airline pilot. This is a great time to dip your foot in that pool. Hopefully the good run will become a great run and stay that way for your airline career. The history says that it won't stay this way forever - no doubt the industry is cyclic - but you'll know if you made the right decisions when you retire - and then it is all water under the bridge in any case.