Thread: Hand Propping
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 PM
RadialGal
Airborne bus driver

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: my seat smells funny

Recently got to see a 100 percent authentic Sopwith Pup do a full power runup. Complete with Blps and Castor oil a plenty.

I remember hand propping my first plane. It was a tiny little T-crate. My Instructor (tailwheel rating) was an old Pelican Airline Pilot. I, a freshly minted Commercial Pilot. The crate had no electrical system, so she had to be hand-propped. He got in the cockpit, made all the right calls, and I flung the blade like I had seen in all those King/Jeppesen videos.

Welllllllll, I thought I did; but I didn't. I flung it like I was holding onto a 3 ft chainsaw at full power. I backed away as if it were radioactive. He just laughed at me. "Crucified Christ! It's not an F-16 inlet!" Over and over I flung it like it was a rabid dog, like it had Ebola.......I was simply terrified for some reason. Then he got out, rolled his eyes dramatically and said "stand right next to me." He chocked the bird, came over, grabbed the prop like he had flown her for for 25 years (which he had) and did the old Waldo Pepper fling. The engine popped to life immediately. I stood right next to him, less than a foot from the prop......and was unharmed. I quickly loss my fear after that (and have hand propped many birds since)

How many Millenials (sadly I am one) have hand propped a bird? I wonder?

RadialGal