View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by hydrostream View Post
I was an active duty guy, but knew quite a few Guard aviators. The National Guard does not have a street to seat program like the regular Army does, so you're not going to be able to just go to a recruiter and put together a packet for the board. It's my understanding that there are some units that will work with you to do something similar though, and will allow you to enlist knowing they will eventually send you to WOCS. Whether your state has a unit like that or not is something you'll have to ask around about.

Every one of my Guard friends was enlisted in their units prior to going to WOCS, so I have no idea how common it is to get into one of the Guard "street-to-seat" units.

Anyways, I highly recommend joining the Army as a warrant officer if you want to fly. They do a lot of the administrative stuff around the unit, and also spend a lot of time as extra hands during packing days and what-not. But the amount of time an O-grade spends doing paperwork, meetings, building slides, counseling, etc. is crazy. You have to really enjoy management to get into that groove.
Unless things have changed this is not true. Yes, sometimes they want you to enlist first, but some states will give you a direct slot. It all depends.