Thread: slide pop
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 08:45 PM
VIRotate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post
With a few minutes remaining before the 3 hour time, the Duty Manager stated that slides were to be deployed now and that it was an emergency. The Duty Manager told me to tell the Captain to deploy the slides. I was concerned that this was not an appropriate course of action, and I reminded the Duty Manager that I had operational control of the flight. The Duty Manager replied that they were taking operational control of the flight at that time. I was on the phone with the Captain and handed the phone to the Duty Manager. The Duty Manager informed the Captain to deploy the evacuation slides. The Captain debated with the Duty Manager over this course of action. The L1 slide was deployed.
The CEO could have told me to pop it and I still wouldn’t. At the end of the day this was never an emergency hence I wouldn’t deploy an emergency slide. The duty manager was not the PIC of that aircraft. I think it would be easier to explain to a legacy that I was fired for not deploying an emergency slide just to save money. I’m sure the FAA would have some questions and I need to protect my license.