Thread: Left seat 757
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Too hard to call. FedEx offers stability, tremendous diversity of fleet, and a long history of solid growth. It offers a lot of chances to bust your butt 10Pm-8 AM as well.

UAL offers the chance to drive to work, give family non-rev options, and a handful of domiciles vice being MEM centric. More legs, more block, PBS...all bad. Daylight flying....good or bad....

If I really wanted to fly pax, and lived in/near a domicile, AND had a downside protection (wife job, ANG job, active duty retirement) I might consider UAL. Two of my counselors did for domicile and Q of Life reasons. Commuters---or someone who never wants to look for another job? FedEx is an easy vote. My own experience at FedEx, however, has been incredibly lucrative and largely enjoyable, and I've seen a LOT of the globe as a result. Unless you had a specific reason to want to be a UAL pilot (and there are plenty of good reasons) its hard for me not to recommend FedEx to anyone. Its a very good career. But the financial penalty for going somewhere else is smaller than it was a few years ago as the pax carriers recover from the lost decade and their contracts have rebounded. We have UAL, DAL, and SWA pilots in our classes with some frequency--I think they would be much more qualified than me to offer the goods and others of each respective company. Get both offers...THEN we can talk...
Thanks! I really appreciate your time.