View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 AM
BTDT
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: 17 S.E. of Kedzi

Hello. I have not logged into this site for a few years but thought I'd check it out since they send e-mails every so often.

Having left the field over 27 years ago after working toward an aviation career I will give my thoughts but first a little background.

Like all of you I always loved airplanes. Built all kinds of models as a kid and flew control line version. While working at a grocery store as a teenager I paid to get my private which was acquired 3 days after my 18th birthday. When the instructor, a retired AF guy, found I wasn't 18 he called my parents asking if it was o.k. to teach me. The instrument and comm were all paid for by myself. The parents figured I was serious so helped with the CFI and multi. To cut it short I did the CFI routine, flew jumpers and towed banners (most fun jobs I ever had) worked for a guy in AK for a short time then flew checks at night in 210's and Aztecs single pilot. Yes, it was legal to fly IFR freight in single engine piston poppers back then.

At the time you couldn't touch a commuter job as regionals were called back then unless you had 2500TT with 500 multi and getting one with those credentials was considered lucky. As soon as I gained that experience I sent resumes. All snail mail back then. The only one I heard back from was American Eagle who flew me to Dallas for an interview to fly ATR's. It was the most disorganized thing I've ever attended which made me wonder how they work their business. There were three interviews. One was a woman asking general questions, another was with a captain going over rules and asking questions on charts. The third was an ILS in a Citation simulator. The IP controlled the throttles and just wanted to see you fly which ended up being a miss. I was really proficient at the time and those needles never moved off center. Guy said I did a "masterful job".

Both captains said I did great but after all the disorganization I really didn't care and the woman with the non flying questions asked if there was anything else I would like to add. I told her "if your flying anything that shouldn't be in the air don't hire me". hahahaha Of course there was a rejection letter. Look up Roselawn, IN. There's a good chance it could have been me flying that thing out of ORD.

So what did I do? I was collecting unemployment after being laid off from hauling checks, oops that is "furloughed" in aviation parlance, I seen an add in the local paper that stated "wanted, meter readers. Work in (location) Two years technical experience required" so I called. The woman asked what I had been doing and I replied flying freight in small twin engine airplanes to which she said that's technical enough. Can you come in for an interview?

It happened to be what is one of the largest fully regulated utilities in the U.S. Most people where I live covet the job. The interview process took several months. No word for awhile then out of the blue a call came asking if you could take a physical and drug test. Another period of no word and then come in for another interview. They asked that if I were to be hired how would they know I wouldn't leave to go fly. I told them if I were hired how do I know they wouldn't lay me off and I was also through with flying. Yeah, I got hired.

After all this time what do I think? First off you will hear if you want something you really have to work at it. I am of the opinion if it don't come easy leave it alone. As has been stated most here covet the job. I didn't care whether I got it or not and it just happened. I started in a menial job but there are bids posted weekly. Like flying I suppose. There are so many types you are bound to find something that suites your fancy. I have tried several. Some were longer term and some not so much but there is the ability to go back to your previous one.

The compensation? No comparison to flying. The menial job started more than right seat at a commuter. I think of all the dues to pay in aviation at minimal wage and all that lost compensation. Now? I have been over six figures for some time. I have thought so many times about the pay in aviation and how much time you are realistically at work but not getting paid. If you ask me a layover is being at work. Now? I am paid from the moment I arrive at the parking lot until I get back in my personal vehicle to go home. If it's overtime and I wish to work 24 or 32 straight it is all compensated time. Most at double time.

QOL? Home every night and I will not put in writing the things I get done while technically at work awaiting an emergency call.

I am eligible to retire one year from this month but will see if I wish to work until age 60. There is a traditional pension, great health care plus I have been socking it away in several areas of savings.

Excitement? It does not provide the views but is frequently fast paced and exciting in my current position. Seen more than one explosion.

An aside. Nine years ago there were some health problems which would have been of great concern in aviation. Not so where I now am.

Do I miss flying? Not really. Yeah, I think about it sometimes. After getting this job I did not fly for 6 years. Went for a few biennials but never really used it for PIC except 2 times to take the wife up. Got a tail wheel endorsement in a Cub a couple years ago in order to satisfy myself. There's been some parts for a homebuilt in the garage for several years but I may donate them to a high school aviation program if there were a reliable one.