View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 PM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
Best thing you can do begins before your start your training....Avoid the local FBO CFIs. They are only interested in taking your money and adding another 0.1 hrs to their logbook.

-LAFF
Wow, WORST advice Ive heard here yet. I got my private AND instrument at a local FBO and had a few different instructors there (so it wasnt just ONE) and my experience with the CFI's was excellent. In fact, I would say I had a better time with those instructors than my current Part 141 school. The equipment is a different story...

If you are completely lost on a "What would you do..." type question (which they love asking) and you have no idea, go with the most conservative legal answer you know of. For instance, if you forgot the minimum fuel for day or night VFR, ask yourself what would YOU do. Would you really only allow yourself 30 minutes of fuel for a long cross country? Go with an hour even and it shows them safety is your main concern. Also like if they say the weather is getting at and below VFR mins, best thing to do is call some approach or center for radar help. Better with the extra help than trying to do it on your own. Always be conservative with your answers if possible (especially for the private).

As for the actual checkride...if at all possible, try going flying right before your checkride. Get even .5 in. Do some touch and goes, even fly to a check point so you know where they are. You will deffinately notice a difference!