View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 AM
Cheese7
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Default Health Insurance as a Low-Time Pilot

I'm 28 years old, unmarried, no kids, currently employed full time in a non-aviation career and have health insurance through my employer's plan. I'll be changing careers later this year, and am trying to decide how to handle healthcare. I'm planning to become a flight instructor or do aerial survey to build time with the plan of landing at a regional within 2 years. I would imagine very few low-time pilot jobs provide health coverage and I think it would probably be easier to just do my own thing.

I'm currently in great health. I haven't "gone to the doctor" or gotten prescriptions in a few years. I get a physical, blood work, and an EKG stress test done annually through my employer, and everything has always come back looking good.

It would be a 99% chance I could make it to the regionals without using any medical services or prescription medications in the interim, but I can't predict the future, and would want to have a very high deductible plan to cover me in the event of something serious.

Is anyone in a similar scenario? Any advice?