Thread: FedEx Schedules
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
I don't disagree with your post. However, I think the ANC domicile days are very limited. The company's push to grab more 777s I believe will kill ANC MD11 domicile pretty soon -- if not LAX or both.

I can see ANC getting a 777 domicile. Too many of our trips go through there now. In fact I'm on a deadhead as I type and there are three 777 bubbas with me doing the same. Anecdotal evidence. But why fly MD11s around the world when the parts just aren't there anymore. It is increasingly becoming very expensive. The USAF has learned this as well with their fleet of KC-10s.
I wasn't really attempting to make a commentary on the longevity of the ANC domicile. The guy asked what the flying was like.

As far as the domiciles in ANC and LAX go, I can't claim any special insight but here are some facts that might make closing them soon very difficult:

1. At last count, we are operating 57 MD-11s. That's a lot of 777s worth of lift and we aren't getting 777s in those kind of numbers yet. The 777 is also not a perfect replacement for the MD in every market (and neither is the 767).
2. An ANC tech stop makes the MD-11 a far more effective freighter getting to/from Asia.
3. ANC is still running -11s back and forth to KIX, ICN, TPE and outbounds to NRT and GUM. These flights are a pretty effective way to get crews into Asia for the shorter intra-Asia flying the MD is still doing on a very regular basis.
4. The LAX domicile allows MD-11 crews to be positioned to/from Asia in one duty period. More than half the FO bidpack and almost that for the Captains involves deadheads that would require adding two days to each trip if MEM based -11 pilots flew them.

None of these factors are insurmountable, but for now, it would appear that a better alternative doesn't really exist, IMO.