View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dadof6 View Post
IMHO, an error in judgement was made when both parties believed that any LOA addressing two FDAs could exist as a fixed-in-stone document. In my belief, the LOA had to be a starting point, from which to build. And both parties needed to state that up front. So where do we go from here? I'm not paid by the union, but I would suggest a formalized FDA Working Group be established. Maybe this exists already between ALPA & FDX, but if so, I'm not aware. (I have heard from my rep "well, we talk all the time, about a lot of things, including the FDAs." Well, that ain't workin'.) One of the working group members should be JL. I've always known exactly where he stood, and he has a sense of humor. Another should be a member--possibly the chairman--of the NC. Other members should include those with a vested interest in the FDAs--maybe a junior pilot awarded a bid to each FDA. This working group could formalize the sweeteners already stated, and not just by some lame FCIF with an expiration date or whim to change AFTER the bid is closed. Meet on a regular basis TBD. Publish the minutes, and make this work--both for FDX and for the pilots. I'm not running the company, just flying boxes. But this would be my way out of this jungle.
Yes, more communication is typically better instead of veiled threats ("they'll hire foreign pilots") and brinksmanship ("this is our first and last offer")

I believe there were many members of the "lunatic fringe" on this board that were suggesting more calm, measured discussion/negogiation back in July and Aug when the deficiencies in the LOA were very quickly becoming apparent.

If it takes a faild bid to drive a formal LOA revision --- so be it.

As Albie is always smart to point out, our goal is for a "win-win" for us and the company!

Last edited by DLax85; 11-16-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling