View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by trip View Post
Airline pilots can't do that stuff, FAA says so.
Pilots can't get held up, or take pictures? Of course a pilot can take a picture. Don't be ridiculous.

The 767 isn't held up by the piston airplanes. The A26 is on the taxiing onto the runway, and the other three are holding short, possibly doing runups. There's a fuel truck "in the way" too, so there's no appearance of the radial airplanes holding anybody up.

The two B25's are noisy in taxi because 7 of the 14 cylinders on each engine only have short-stacks; exhausts that are only 3-4" long, while the top cylinders use a collector that produces the "radial sound" that most are familiar with. The P51 and A26 aren't loud in taxi or the runup, really. I used to sit between four engines from the B25, and used a sound meter to record the decibel level in the cockpit at idle and takeoff. I'd have to go dig for the readings, but I did a comparison by standing at the departure end with the db meter while an F-16 departed in afterburner; it was louder in the airplane at idle than standing next to the F-16.

And my kids wonder why I'm deaf.