View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by BtownPilot View Post
I am going to break my contract with my 135. Its a realllly big amount. Am I screwed or is there actually always a way to get out? One reason I am, originally it was suppose to be half the time even as they advertised on their job posting on their website but when I already turned down other positions and moved for the job, boom double the time... Any good attorney recommendations? hopefully I can find one that has never had a client pay out.

Thanks!
Is English your second language?

You signed a contract, agreeing to pay for your training or repay the training costs in the event that you failed to honor your commitment to the company, and now you want to dishonor that commitment, correct?

Did you get something in return for this commitment, such as a type rating?

Boom?

What was supposed to be "half the time?" The training period, or the duration of the commitment to the employer? If your training took longer than anticipated, so be it. If you committed to a time period and have fulfilled that time period (a year is customary, but some agreements extend as long as three--and the Chinese routinely use commitments out to 99 years), then you've fulfilled your contract. Are you trying to say that the company is keeping you longer than the term of the contract? It sounds more like you're attempting to say that you think the training took too long, and you want to go somewhere else without fulfilling your contract.

Do you understand that the reason that employers have these contracts is dishonest pilots who take the training and run?

If you are in a situation in which the employer has not met the terms of the contract, or is operating dangerously or illegally, you may have standing to leave prior to fulfilling your end of the bargain.

Apparently you thought it work signing the document to get what you wanted. What has changed?