Thread: Upgrade Times?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM
glassnpowder98
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by KCaviator View Post
The whole "I-hope-upgrades-don't-drop-because-lack-of-experience" must be a Republic thing. There's a ton of lifers here that seem to be extremely bitter that upgrades are 2.5 years and dropping. Multiple other airlines are upgrading right at 1,000 121 and no one seems to have a problem. I think some of these guys can't let go of the past and they don't want to see younger guys upgrading in half the time they did.
I do hope it continues to drop to keep making Republic a more attractive place to be since growth typically increases QOL for everyone- as long as we grow within proper staffing levels. Would I rather see 170’s flown at mainline? Of course, but this is the S-sandwich given to us so we might as well make it through this part of our careers the best we can.

With that said, if upgrade drops real low I hope pilots come here with the mindset of preparing to become a captain. When upgrade was 4-7 years a lot of guys just sat in the right seat twiddling their thumbs waiting for their number to finally come up and struggled when it was time to upgrade. Aviation is all about timing and luck, so coming from someone who has been here a while I’m not bitter that people have it better than I did. Having your number called for upgrade is the easy part, actually being prepared to pass the training at 1000 hours of 121 takes some effort, paying attention to what your captains do, and thinking like a decision maker from day one.