Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Karnak
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by Slaphappy View Post
we're not in the military.
It was a reference. Some things we do in this business are analogous to military concepts of command and leadership. Some airlines put their pilots in uniforms and insignia to make some of those concepts overt.

The Pilot-In-Command is in command.

The crew, even F/A's that I've only worked with for 1 leg who might be going to a different hotel fit within my first general order.

Since I set the pace of operation for the most part, I get to decide when WE are ready. To that end I'm the last one though KCM/security if we're going as a crew. If the aircraft is an RON, I'm the last crew member off. I don't get on the crew van until all crew members going with us are on. At the hotel, they all sign in before me so I can be sure the room count is right and everyone knows their pickup time - even if they're with another crew the next day. International, I give them the rally point. If anyone in the crew wants someone to wait in the hall while they check their room, I do it.

They're fellow employees! I'm proud of my profession and my company. I want both to succeed.

Maybe if I was an Italian cruise boat captain I'd bail out on my crew early, but I'm not.