Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 PM
vanrv36
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Couple things...

- These days airlines don't have much to do with your medical condition, that's mostly left up to the FAA. So your real concern is getting the FAA to issue you a First Class medical. But you don't need to be too concerned.

- The sort of situational depression you describe is pretty common, especially around that time in life.

- The fact that no meds were used is a plus.

- Since you were treated by a medical professional, you'll have to report the situation when you apply for a medical. They will at least want a written statement from the doc who treated you, and will likely want an recent evaluation. If it was situational depression, and you're fine now, you should have no problem getting a medical.

Worst case, a few top-tier majors might do an FAA 1C exam at the time of interview, and they would have you submit the same form you fill out for the FAA. They should not hold you to higher standards than the FAA they should only verify that you meet FAA standards, which should not be a problem since the FAA should issue a letter to that effect when they clear you.

If you haven't already, do some research on how to avoid and manage that sort of depression so you can manage your lifestyle to stay out of trouble with that sort of thing (but if you do end up in a bad place, get help, don't try to gut it out).

I've got my 1st class and everything, being that i'm a very private person not many people know about it. I just keep my self away from things where people would notice.
At the moment I am still seeing the therapist every now and then to work out strategies and decipher/evaluate how things are going. I've essentially had to 'relearn' all of this social and self worth BS

I'm about 1450TT right now.

Appreciate the feedback though.

Last edited by vanrv36; 07-31-2018 at 09:21 PM.