Old 08-01-2018, 10:10 AM
bamike
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Some of these things are hard to quantify. I watched an instructor yell at a pilot in the 727 sim because the guy simply had no idea of how to control the aircraft with an outboard engine out. A 727! Basically an DC-9 with a very very slight bit of rudder pressure needed. Some things are best to experience and understand thoroughly from teaching and experience. I had/have no problems doing Vmc demos in light twins and turboprops up until either heading change or stall, but I have always watched those like a hawk and I've seen many people over the years not keep the slight bank going, which makes the maneuver go bad real fast if you let them keep going, which I never have. I'm totally fine if someone wants to be ultra-cautious and conservative with this. Everything has a risk to it, but part of being a flight instructor is de-constructing the maneuvers and really understanding what is behind them, which can payoff significantly down the road. Spins and upset training is another good example of this. There's landing an airplane, which can differ greatly from aircraft to aircraft, and then there's understanding landing, which is really the same for each aircraft. I've seen ATP pilots that fly big jets that didn't really understand landing, they could pull it off, but I could tell the understanding just wasn't there and their results were far more random.

Should you spend a bunch more money for it at this stage? Probably not, as stated, best to do it at a school that needs multi-instructors and will pay for it. Should you get it and instruct multi-students? It's a good idea to become a more rounded pilot, reinforces a lot of fundamentals. I would always ask why an aircraft yaws and rolls when you fail an engine, and like a rapid-fire computer, I'd almost always hear "P-factor and accelerated slipstream!", then I'd ask why a 737 yaws and rolls when you fail an engine, and I'd get blank looks. It's fun to get into that setting and really teach people the understanding and how to control the aircraft. It's hard to do that racing through certificates yourself and most of us had some pretty crappy instruction at one point or another at the least. Being an instructor, you have a chance to influence that.
I'd be interested in hearing your explanation of landings so I can better understand them too.

As far as the multi-engine, anyone with that rating should know that P-factor and accelerated slipstream are critical engine factors. The reason it rolls into the dead engine is asymmetric thrust. Please correct me if I am wrong, always looking to learn.