View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
dlgjnu

Default CFI Liability concerns??

Background if it matters. I am 50+. Private Pilot. I have been around aviation my whole life. 18 years as Air Force dependent, father was a fighter pilot. 2 years flight line mechanic at Cessna Aircraft twin Cessna plant. 8 years FAA, ATC, Flight service, bush Alaska. 10 years and counting, FAA Nav/Comm tech. 350 hours flight time, mostly PIC, single engine, Alaska time. I live/work in VT and NH now.

I am about to start work on my Commercial, Instrument and CFI. I love teaching and feel flight instruction as a part time gig would be a natural fit. I am already at the airport most days anyhow. I have heard of some CFI's who are 50+, own homes, have a bank account who will not teach or teach primary instruction anymore because of liability concerns if somewhere/sometime one of their students augers in. These folks have a wealth of experience, are superb instructors. But, they don't want to lose what they have worked for over the years to some injury lawyer.

Here is the question: Is this a big concern? Is there liability insurance? How do most CFI's handle this?

Thanks.