View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Maddoggin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by arouth View Post
Hi,

Military 707 pilot at 17 years (staying in til 20 years) that is researching & hoping to get hired by Delta since I'm already in the Atlanta area.

I've read through a few threads on the typical schedule for a Delta pilot and it seems 3 or 4 day trips are the norm. However I've also read about "narrow body" or 717s having shorter trips. From what I've researched that you get paid less for a schedule like that, but if I already have a military retirement then I'd personally rather focus on quality of life over maxing out the pay scale.

My question is can you (once you get a bit of seniority) bid on shorter 2 day trips or short haul out and backs to be home more? Rather than having half the month off can you work more days but do shorter trips like that instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes you can. Although in most narrowbody categories the day lines and two day trips go pretty senior on the initial monthly bid. So it might take a while to get the seniority to hold that type of schedule. Another alternative if your junior is to try and drop or give away your initial schedule and pickup short trips that pop up. In the narrowbody categories there are lot's of short trips that popup due to various reasons. Another option if your looking to be home is to get involved with the training department. Get some time on the jet you want to be on and then apply to become an instructor. They will be in perpetual hiring mode over there for years to come. Then you'll be home every night. Typical rotation is 2 month in the training department and 1 month line flying. You could do that till you have the seniority to hold the shorter trips then go back to flying the line.