Thread: Foreign pilots
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by BA320 View Post
I know a guy who worked for Emirates as b777 fo and CA for 15 years and now he is an FO for AA flys the B777. It’s all about luck.
Since the number of new hires (2014 or later) that can hold the 777 is zero I think we're talking about the same guy -

No, it's not about luck. His resume was light years better than yours - he'd already had flown U.S. 121 before going to Emirates. I don't recall if it he'd upgraded. At EK he was a 777 FO, CA and then CKA. I think he had at least 3, and perhaps 4-5, type ratings. You have none of that on your resume. His built his resume and didn't rely on "luck" instead he stood out among his competitors. That's how you make "luck."

Part of "luck" is analyzing the market forces around you. He made some timely decisions before getting hired by EK, and when he decided to go to EK, and when he decided to leave EK. He'll have about 24 years as a Captain at AA and 15 yrs of that will be as a 777/787 CA.

He got his flight department job by applying and competing against his peers.

His seniority is too junior to hold 777 FO. He's holding a flight department technical job that he got because of his 777 and CKA experience and because of that he can fly the 777 as an FO for proficiency. If he leaves the flight department job he'd be a junior n/b FO and too junior to hold the 777.