Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by FlyinSolo View Post
First post here, so hello everyone!
I'm Quinn, I am 20, and I currently work at an FBO at KRFD
I started my job about 10 months ago now and it has really sparked my interest in aviation! I have my 3rd class medical scheduled for next week and I am trying to pursue flying as a career. I am seeing that in order to fly for a regional airline I am going to need my ATP, which requires a bachelors degree. I wanted to know if anyone had any input on whether or not it could be an online degree or not. I am currently considering an online degree in Music Production through Full Sail University online, it says that it can be completed in as little as 20 months and that is quite appealing. With my job I have the opportunity to make small talk with tons of pilots and I was having a conversation yesterday with a corporate pilot talking about my plan and he told me to get my ATP as soon as I could, and that "the degree could be in basket weaving, it really doesn't matter as long as you have it"
An ATP does not require a degree.

Airlines generally want a degree, yes, an online degree is fine. No, they don't care what it is in.

Anyone convincing you to get something really fast probably wants your money. Work your way through your certificates and ratings, even if it takes 5 years, it's far better than starting off in a bunch of debt.