View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 12:17 PM
journeylover
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Default My son is in the same boat

I'm a mom of a future pilot and we just finished researching an economical plan for my son to get there. He is 20 in Sept. and is making the following choice: community college for first 2 years (very cheap, just finished his first year there and is living at home) and transferring for 2 years to finish online at a university (we're in FL and there are several universities like UCF or UF with good online Bachelor's; he is going for History). The total for all 4 years will be about $20K plus books. Since we are saving $ going this route (no room/board), we are going to pay for pilot training at our local airport flight school, about the most economical path we could find. It will take about a year of training (3-4 days a week), plus 1-2 years working CFI hours to meet requirements (our estimate). So he will get his Bachelor's in 3 years, about the same time as he will earn his hours needed for a Regional job. I have a friend whose son goes to Full Sail. Pros: an online degree in 29 mo. Cons: not regionally accredited so credits don't usually transfer to another school if you don't finish, plus very pricey ($50K+ right?). My advice, since you have a job, would be find the lowest online Bachelor's degree you can get (WGU might work like someone suggested, I am not familiar with it) and pay cash for it or get Financial Aid if you can. Save your borrowing power for loans for flight training, unless you have parents paying for it.