View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Springfield
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
I was afraid what the OP would get as a response. Let me preface what I will write by saying I am hardly an ExpressJet koolaide drinker. Just look at my recent posts.
Having said that, I think we need to look at each individual separately and try to put aside our personal disappointments when we do so. There are some things I see in the OPs background that make me think XJT may be a good fit.
For the OP:
1. Training will probably be outstanding which, if coming from a GA background will be crtitical. Having said that, you must come prepared. Know how to fly instruments. Get in a PI-135 sim with a good instructor. Learn to fly an airplane with a G1000 and a GFC700 autopilot. Learn to fly with the autopilot, w/ the FD but no autopilot, and raw data. You will also have to fly visually with precision, on speed and on target. If you can find a good instructor with a Mooney fly that as well. Learn to fly it on speed and on target, landing where you want on the center line every time. If the instructor is someone who teaches to normally land zero flaps and 90 knots over the numbers that’s the wrong instructor.
2. Your training will most likely be in Houston. This is good and bad. Tell any family there that your training comes first. Consider getting a hotel room if XJT is paying for it.
3. As pointed out you probably won’t get IAH out of training, so you will be commuting to sit reserve at first. Probably ORD.
3. The company is going through... “turmoil”. You could hit the jackpot and things turn around. More likely you realize after a year that this is a sinking ship, you do a lateral move and get a bonus for doing so as a well trained pilot with 121 experience.
Good luck!
Let me second, or third, the comments about preparing yourself for the flying training environment. Airline flying is precision glass cockpit instrument flying, even in a "visual" environment. When the second career guys have trouble, it tends to be trouble flying instruments and managing the FMS flight computers. With that said, XJT will work with you to get you through if you can continue to improve through training. Good luck.