Thread: Via Air
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by Beeman68 View Post
Mid life career changer here possibly looking into Via. Reading some good and positive things about how they treat pilots. And quite a few questions have been answered on this thread. Sounds like they will work with you on the schedule so you can get the days off you need. Trips appear to be out and back, so your home very night.( barring weather and maintenance ) Pay looks reasonable. CP is a hard worker doing the best he can. Planned expansion on routes and equipment.
Here are some questions I didn't see answered in the thread or I missed them.
How is the benefits like health and 401k?
Pay for working your days off?
Is there a training contract?
What is the likely hood of getting base in Orlando?
Where does training take place?
How does the company plan on resolving the bad press they have received with customer service?
It may be a waste of time asking all these because I'm not sure I would meet the qualifications Via is looking for, but it never hurts to ask and it might help someone else. ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI, 2900 hrs
Any of that 2900 turbine, or EFIS, or FMS?
They do have a 401k, I do not recall the match
They had a training contract, but have never actually enforced it
Training Orlando ground, Houston or STL for sim
The have replaced the DO, VP flight ops, and an HR manager
Health insurance is BCBS of FL and a family plan loaded up is about $800 when all is added up for all coverages.

Seriously, if you can deal with schedules being given to you very late. Schedules changing (not dates, but assignments on the dates changing) then you’ll like it there. Get your time off requests in and they make it work the vast majority of the time.
While there, you’ll either be short call in a hotel, or flying a max duty day load of flights.
If you live in Orlando or Austin you’ll really love the place as you’ll be home each night barring mechanicals and weather. If you live elsewhere you’ll love not having to commute, and never needing a crash pad. They will two leg you home from work to save $50 bucks though.

37 year old company, bought 3-4 years ago, taken 121 two years ago.
They’re still learning, and open to suggestions from experienced folks.

In your case, I’d apply anyway. You meet the mins for the FO side.