View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by pvermilyea1 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I posted this not expecting thousands of people to see it, but rather if other people experience the same problem I have with a consulting firm, it would be good to document it so others searching for information can find it. It's also good to know if I'm an isolated case or a trend.
My son's vision is 20/60 or so with correction in one eye (20/200 uncorrected), but normal vision in the other eye. I wish Pilot Medical Solutions had advised us that he could get a special issuance for this and could still possibly qualify for a class 2 (or 1) license. But since they didn't say anything, my son's AME recommended a 3rd class license, and we went along with that suggestion. Now that I've read online about monocular pilots with 1st class licenses, we are at a crossroads as to what to do.
I think we have 3 options:
1) Abandon the 3rd class application with the FAA and PI number, and see the AME for a 2nd class application, starting all over again. This might confuse the FAA though why he is starting over.
2) Complete the 3rd class application, with the help of Leftseat, and if approved, then the next day get another AME for a 2nd/1st class license, and possibly have to pay another fee to Leftseat for a new application.
3) Complete the 3rd class application, then start working on a 2nd/1st class permit on our own with no consultant.

Yes, you were correct - my son took ADHD meds for about 2 weeks when he was 8 (they didn't do anything), so we flew to Oakland to get a comprehensive neuropsych exam ($3,500) from someone who specializes in FAA testing. He passed with no problems, and she gave him a positive review and recommended him to fly.

Maybe I should post my question elsewhere on the forum, but i thought it was important to let others know of my disappointment with Pilot Medical Solutions so far. If they hit a home run and impress me with their service, I can always provide an update, but so far communication and guidance has been disappointing.

Maybe some readers on the forum can help me make the best move going forward. Thanks for your help.
I'm going to send you a personal message. Won't cost you a dime and probably worth every cent of it, with what I WOULD do in your case. Feel free to do that or ignore it. It won't hurt my feelings a bit,