View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:17 PM
airscout
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: air attack pilot

Originally Posted by Day4mx View Post
Why wouldnt you wanna take advantage of our 6 on 1 off schedules with lines not commutable either end ?!
Personally I'll never commute (fly to work) for any job again (unless it's positive space), which is the reason I'd consider AWAC under that right conditions. I can drive to MKE. When Frontier Express was there I drove back and forth to MKE. At that time I had a line with 12 days off every month. Not great by any means, but doable until they closed MKE down and RAH got rid of Frontier. I actually don't mind getting done late because afternoon traffic on that 894 construction (still going on after all these years) sucks! Not a big fan of early shows though. Anyway, for me it's not so much the time reporting and finishing as how hard I'll be used and abused. For example, I was a DEC at G7. When the company followed the rules of LCR it wasn't so bad. Every other stretch of LCR days I wouldn't be used and sat at home (12 hour call out). But when the company started dumping open time into LCR lines the month prior (by contract it was supposed to sit in open time pot until 24 hours prior) then every single reserve day you were be used with no respite. To make matters worse reserve captains started to constantly be assigned right seat flying in LCR stretches the month prior. This is just one example at one of the airlines I worked at. If the contract or the union is weak then you are constantly getting abused, especially when short staffed. Being a bottom feeding captain while more senior FOs upgrade and keep bumping you down makes the abuse last longer and be more chronic. This is what I worry about. RESERVE RULES. SCHEDULING. DAYS OFF. JUNIOR MANNING. Stuff like that. Sounds in general that AWAC isn't very good about stuff like that and noone has heard of any improvements on the way, so ja, I will look elsewhere because I don't think being able to drive to work is going to make up for these other deficiencies.