View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 AM
cbire880
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: E170 FO

Originally Posted by schoolio View Post
Isn't your airline a certificate holder?

Like I stated, do what your career can stand. For me, my extracurricular flying will be limited to personal and military reserve flying.
Your airline is a certificate holder. The examples above were talking about flight instruction for that same certificate holder in a part 61 or part 141 capacity. That was interpreted as an assignment by the same certificate holder. They also reference that flight instruction performed for pay that is "free-lance" in nature (i.e. not for the same certificate holder that you performed 135 operations for) is not counted against your daily totals so long as it is performed after the 135 flying. It does count towards your yearly and monthly totals though.

My contention is that no where does it address instructing for personal reasons. E.g., you brother/sister wants to learn how to fly, so you find an airplane that you have access to and provide them training pro bono. They pay for the cost of the aircraft. Some are contending that the FAA sees that logged flight experience as compensation. I was asking for an interpretation that stated that as a fact. The above articles do not address that situation. They only address instruction you provide to a customer for a fee, which is the definition of "other commercial flying."