View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Azorian
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by calmwinds View Post
Here is the skinny:
Envoy has a DFW base. You will probably be based elsewhere and have to transfer back. Probably flying a 145 or 175. Older pilots have preference in aircraft and base.
I decided against Envoy because i was informed it was a 2 year agreement for the bonus and would be based in either Chicago or LGA. my previous employer had me working in both of those areas routinely, for months at a time and i was trying to work my way south and get away from ORD LGA not stay there on reserve. so Envoy is out

Republic has a IAH base. Ask about the hire date of the junior FO and junior CA in IAH. They fly the 170/175. They have a good reputation.
Republic is on my short list, so thats an option

ExpressJet is losing their DFW base. ExpressJet has a IAH base. Ask about the hire date of the junior FO and junior CA in IAH. Recruiters and management and trolls there can lie so be careful. They are touting new CRJ200 flying (announced) and 175 flying (promised if the pilots enter into a long term contract - looks like GoJet 700’s are being replaced with 175’s). Neither will likely be IAH based. So, plan on the 145 in IAH.
good to know

Mesa has a DFW and IAH base. DFW is the CRJ and IAH is the 175. It is what it is. You fly a lot. You upgrade quickly. You move on. Just be careful to not cross aircraft in your upgrade. There are also downsides: insurance costs and schedule flexibility once assigned.
Im flexible, DFW would be the easier commute, but just barely, based on the website, IAH most junior captain was hired in April 2018, obviously he was a similar case as me and had sufficient prior 121 experience to upgrade quickly. I wouldn't be able to last very long on FO pay so the fast upgrade would be a must.

If you are a decent pilot and can afford to take your time at a regional, Republic and Envoy have the best reputations.
I have my eye on United long term, but will need an ATP and currently do not have one, I have 121 and 135 experience, and gobs of hours instructing etc

i can go pay for an ATP out of my own pocket, or i can trade a place like mesa / republic a couple of years of my life in exchange for good recent jet experience and an ATP on their dime.

and...

That is something he should consider too. Heard Kalitta is cleaning house at Xjet.

With 2000 PIC, he would upgrade for Mesa in IAH after he received two CA recommendations.
sorry for the confusion, my experience in 121 land is about 2,000 hours SIC time, not PIC

I am currently PIC at a 135 outfit flying turbo-prop aircraft that dont require an ATP

hence the reason im looking at regionals to start with; jet time, and an ATP