View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 PM
symbian simian
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
You know I will agree with you on this one but I see the point being made. I get a dependability email at least twice a year. RSV totally blows and the wife works so it’s tuff getting things covered sometimes.
Only once I got an email about a “request for additional information” about a sick call. Boom goes the dynamite I sent in a doctors note...To be honest with you I was really ****ed about being asked to provide one because I have never been sick on holidays, or ever OOP or traveling on sick days... Never heard a word about it after that... (I’m probably on double secret probation) ...I continued to be ****ed about it so I called in sick for a whole weekend...you know to cool off I got another dependability review, but this time however I got a “no need to respond email after looking at your records...”

So I don’t get this policy implementation, seems random to me.
But from the companies point of view...What recourse would the company have if they didn’t have it.
If I was on RSV getting called to fly SDQ red eye turns with the new guys all the time because (plane Jane) is in NC on SCL in JFK banging out sick every 0300 show time ...ya I would want the CP to do something about it.

On the flip side...if you are a target let’s say...you file a grievance and it’s going to cost the company big bucks...and months later you have a late report and they bring up a dependability review...They could give you the option of resigning, or dropping your grievance.
(Because that could never happen?)

Exactly! I worked for a company where a lot of people did stupid stuff because they were legitimately afraid of having to do a carpet dance. I never worried much because I felt I did my job well, but still, I heard several stories about good guys getting nailed for doing the right thing. I also flew with a guy who was put back on probation after 6 years with the company, and fired after not improving. I felt bad for him, but all of us were better off without him. I always think SWA gets the mix right by having a really active pro-standards committee, if you don’t play the game right you will hear from them before you hear from management (disclaimer: hearsay).
The compay should provide adequate staffing, you calling in sick should nog affect that. You hosing your colleagues by calling sick every Xmas might be better handled by the union?