View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM
FNGFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Fly Dog View Post
Most people don’t think of the customer service aspect of the business when they are thinking about or actively learning to fly. They are thinking about compensation, schedule, QOL, how cool it would be to fly airplanes, etc.

If you are not a customer service oriented person and you would rather not offer personalized service, than you are better suited to slug it out the regionals and wait in line for the majors, rather than go to the fractionals.

For me, I chose The fractionals (Flexjet) and love it. I never had a desire to work for the airlines. But, I suppose if the rug was pulled out from under me, I’d go that route.
You're going to work much, much harder at a fractional. Frankly, frac pilots are grossly underpaid given the amount of work and responsibility that is heaped on their shoulders. And frankly, most of them don't fully appreciate it until they leave the frac world.

Also, I understand the personalized service angle to a degree. I generally don't know my pax at the majors whereas I was often on a first name basis with my owners in the Frac world, and new a bit about their families, business and get away spots as well as preferences with regard to personal amenities, catering, etc... Having said that, the personalized service that is so well honed in the frac world doesn't go away when you get to a major unless you let it. I see it missing in a lot of the always 121 partners I fly with, but I move bags, interact with pax, walk them to a gate, provide information etc as much as I ever did in the 91k/135 world. I'm just not expected to clean up after them do lavs or work on their destination arrangements like I was in the frac world. Customer service is a personal decision, and not a who employs me decision.