View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Lockonn View Post
They picked this school because of the style of teaching that is accomplished at LAT Arizona. One individual mentioned accurately that European carriers like Lufthansa and their subsidiaries are all putting 300 hour pilots into the right seats of their A320s... the students that arrive to our flight school are handpicked after days of psychological evaluations, altitude tests, as well as 1 year of EASA theoretical ground school. We are training the 9% that pass all prerequisites to get to the core ab initio training phase in Goodyear, Az. Our teaching style here is not your normal part 61 or 141 flight instructor school. We teach the multipilot concept to a single pilot. All the call outs that are conducted at an airline are done on each flight we take the students on.

While many will deem this unfair to all those that have “paid their dues” at least those of you that are interested need to know that it is not as easy as “become a Flight instructor and go to United”. The training is intense, and it is all designed to have the students (and United CPP flight instructors) be ready to take the next step which will be for both of us (students and instructors) a step into an airline cockpit atmosphere. No catch, nor gimmicks. Believe me, I was the top skeptic out there until I applied last year, interviewed with the companies and was denied, than reapplied a year later to be going through the training now. Don’t be ignorant if your interested, you will miss the best opportunity for low time pilots out there.
Germanwings FO Lubitz was “handpicked after days of psychological training” and sent to AZ for training doing a very similar program to what you describe so he could go back and be a 300 hr A320 FO. So that’s not saying much.