Thread: Anyone's $0.02?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Bigflya
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Sunshine, it is definately decision time for you. I just went through this decision and here are my thoughts and what has helped me. Taking the bonus and staying until 15 years really commits you to the 20 year retirement as one would have to have an awesome guaranteed opportunity to not do the last five years. Read through these threads and you will see that it is tough on the outside. The day it will hit you is on the first payday your check is not DD'ed to your acct. If you do make the jump, definately get a reserve/guard gig. That will help bridge any gaps between jobs and act as an insurance policy in case of another 9-11 style attack or furlough for other reasons. If you haven't already, start researching what areas you are interested in living in what units are near there. Living by your unit will help with not only the steady ability to work, but also with being selected. The selection boards weigh heavily on your living location as that will be a direct link to both your monthly availability and length of time you stick with the unit. Also, start saving for your "furlough fund" now as cash is king and will keep you out of bankruptcy court or feeling desperate and having to take a crap low-paying job just to make ends meat. Keep this $$ in cash and not investments as this is $$ you will need soon and no need to take any extra risk than what you alreadyare by getting out. I've seen guys lose thousands daytrading these funds and that hurts. As far as the outside flying gigs go, they are there. Think about airline, cargo, and even fractional. Research the lifestyle, domiciles, commutes, pay bennies, upgrade time. etc. Apply to those companies you want to work for no later than 6-8 months out as getting hired is a lengthy process. Often it takes 2-3 months to even get a call for an interview, another month until the interview, if you are selected about another month or so for background checks, then usually another two months AT LEAST for a class date. This is why the reserve job is so handy in that it allows you to keep flying to stay current while this process takes place. Also, one thing I did not know about the reserve retirement system is that it still takes just 20 good years to retire. You will get 10 yr credit for your AD time (or whatever you have) and just do ten more qualifying years and you are done. You will just not get paid until 60. Not bad though. Also, you get to keep commissary/BX privelages plus use of the various on-base facilities. Hope this helps and if you have any other q's just ask. I am always willing to help guys out. Good luck in your decision.