Thread: iPhone Logbook
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Dougnut
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck View Post
Hate to break it to you guys but MAC is just PC parts with a specially tailored operating system on it. You can run windows on a Mac and you can run OS X on a PC. Just takes a small amount of tweaking.

OS X is simply a unix based operating system. OS X goes for the eye candy Ohh Ahh factor. Functionality speaking Macs are the least capable. PCs are the most with the middle filled by Linux and BSD/Unix distros.

The speed of the machines is based completely on what's under the hood. Processor, memory, front side bus speed, hard drive rpm (or solid state for that matter). If a Mac emulated Vista faster there were issues on the PCs they ran vista on. Macs had one thing going for them and that was the G4 processor that while running at slower speeds it could complete more operations per second making it a beast of a media machine. The last G4 powerbooks created actually still outperform the new Macs when it comes to video editing.

Macs simply don't have the abilities of PCs. Stability is a non issue. Most the reasons for stability issues regarding PCs in the past had to deal with memory issues and 3rd party development. Windows was open to the public to be developed and not everyone got it right. Vista has strict requirements so upgrading on an older PC might not be wise. If you think you can't crash a Mac then you just don't use them to their max extent. Basic internet use on either won't do much. I've found people who say one is more stable than another simply keep getting themselves into trouble by installing/downloading content they shouldn't. PCs give the user many more options and some users aren't ready for that level. Macs were successful because they limited what the average user could do. Windows never did so everyone got themselves in trouble. Vista has now changed the user definitions and made it harder for people to screw with core settings and files so not near as many user issues.

I haven't had a windows crash on one of my own PCs since windows 2000. All you have to do is not install tons of crap then delete it partially so the comp doesn't know what's on it. If you want a new machine that can take the life of an airline pilot then look no further than a ThinkPad. You buy more than just the pc you get the customer service with it... I worked for Dell for a few years and while it kills me to say it, they treat their employees like Mesa treats theirs, their XPS notebooks are top quality. Customer service, unless you purchase a higher plan, is non-existent though. XPS notebooks are more compact, better screen quality, longer lasting battery, and better performer than the Macs. The new Solid state hard drive they have is amazing. I'm hoping to hold out for bigger ones though. Can never go wrong with a thinkpad though. Still the best.
Wow... If only Steve Jobs had known this he could have stopped wasting his time! Thanks for summing it all up for us.

Dougnut