View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 01:16 PM
BlackhawkIP
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
One can get a VA disability REFRADing from active duty transitioning into the Reserves. One can get a disability via a LOD following a deployment. One can also get a disability while being injured on AT/ADT as a Reservist. In this particular individual's case he REFRAD'd from AGR transitioned to TPU status and somehow managed to pick up this rating while going through the process (don't ask me how). An 80% disability implies some serious physical issues and having somebody on flight status with a valid upslip and no unusual waivers raises an eyebrow. It got noticed by the green tabbers and thankfully some justice eaked-out. Your example of aviators flying sans limbs are not typical and I'm sure these aviators had to go through some exhaustive process to get that waiver written.

Lastly, stop implying that I'm BS-ing you. I was involved in the administrative action(s) with this particular individual.
The only way to get a rating is through military separation; either through ETS, MEB/PEB, or retirement. Your guy must have REFRADed from AGR and went through the separation (ETS) physical and then joined a guard/reserve unit after separation (legal and easy to do). That would have allowed him to receive his VA physical and eventual VA rating. Self-reporting to the VA and submitting a form is the only way to stop the disability pay if rejoining the military. Collecting his VA disability pay (or any VA benefit for that matter) while back in the military is fraud, PERIOD.
Making a statement about collecting 80% disability and still flying without waivers "raises eyebrows" only tells of a lack of understanding of the VA or VA disability ratings in general.
I know of several pilots flying for the majors who have greater than 50% disability ratings. What is not realized is that the rating is a combined percentage of multiple injuries/disabilities. Easiest way to explain is give an example.

Let's look at LTC John Doe after 20 years AFS:

ACL tear/knee surgery (limited range of motion)=10%
Torn rotator cuff/surgery(limited range of motion)=10%
IBS (Iraq deployment; continued irritated stomach, diarrhea=30%
L5-S1 degeneration/bulging disc (hard landing, PL)=10%
Sciatica (left leg)=10%
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (surgery)=0% (started flying a desk at MAJ)
Tinitis (intermittent/occasional, Rt Ear, pistol range/flight line)=10%

This adds up to 80% but the combined VA ratings gives it 59% rounded up to a 60% disability. All of these injuries were due to his military service.

Can he still fly? Receive an FAA Class 1? Absolutely!

What is misunderstood is the individual ratings are added to a Combined Disability rating. A 10% disability is actually a 90% ABILITY. He is 90 ABLE or can do 90% of what someone without an injury can do. If LTC had not blown out his knee during his annual physical fitness test, he would be 100% able. But since he was injured during his time in service, on duty, he is compensated for that 10% ability lost.

When someone serves in the military for 20+ years, they are going to have multiple issues; hence the combined ratings. It doesn't mean they can't hold a meaningful job, fly, or have a 2nd career after their military service.

I have issues with scammers posing as disabled vets or non-disabled people parking in handicapped spots just as everyone else does. I don't have issues with my taxes compensating veterans for injuries incurred while serving in the military so other can pursue a life of self-service.

Rant over......fire away!