Thread: New Hires
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

For those of you considering these FDA's how are you going to pay for it?

I think the assumption is the same way guys and gals suck it up on year one pay at CAL and UPS. Not being a wise-@ass here...I don't like it either...but I think that is the answer some will give you. Its an "investment" in your future at FDX..

The housing allowance leaves you short by about $1100-$1500 a month for a two BR apartment in CDG.

Noted. Unlike HKG, however, you may be able to live outside in a more rural area or suburb at a more reasonable price. Again--I didn't bid it, so I didn't research it, but I hear there are some options outside the city. You'll still eat some out of pocket, however.

Do any of you plan on commuting to these FDA's? Will the schedules be commutable?

I think the company has made it clear they want folks to live in domicile. I have no idea how that would affect most of us other than losing the $2700 if they got upset, but for a guy on probation missing even one trip could have career ending consequences. I think our management folks are generally pretty reasonable, but you have to remember your are at "at will" employee for a year. Want to bet that career on the 777 CAL jumpseat out of EWR? Might be a very stressful year for a commuter...

How long do you think it will take to bid back to the CONUS?

My WAG---4 to 5 years. Just a WAG based on age 60, etc.

What are the chances of new hires getting 2nd year pay to go the the FDA's?
Not in the CBA or LOA. When enough poolies pass on the job it might be an "enhancement", but nobody has offered it yet.

What are the chances of this LOA being renegotiated to make it more attractive?

Who benefits? The company has what it needs to man the FDAs. The union already told us we have no leverage...so caving now would certainly be losing a lot of face.

Would any of you bid the FDA's if the package was better?I'd commute to CDG to be a 757 captain if we didn't have the tax equalization issues. Then again--without that, I probably couldn't hold it anyway.

Do you think FedEx really wants to put such a financial burden on new hires?

Safety/Legality/Reliablity...then stockholder value. They will find SOMEBODY who will do it...what makes you so special? Nobody envisioned new hires going anyway--a good deal like this was going to "go senior"...remember? It is a union's job to negoatiate a reasonable package for its membership.

Can a poolie remain in the pool until a domestic assignment becomes available?
Not our call. That will be up to the company. My gut says after about 10 people say "pass..." they will go back and say "take it or leave it". However, this assumes they are even going to hire into the FDA vice using STVs. Lots of words about "intent" from the union lately, but the LOA says STVs may be used for 2 years. Time will tell what will happen.