View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by hockey27 View Post
Does the big 6 value military aircrew experience even though we weren't the pilots?
A tiny little bit. Basically you need to be competitive as a civilian, and then you might get a little extra consideration. They know that any mil vet is going to be able to show up for work on time, pressed shirt, clean shave, and sober... that's not an automatic with civilians.

Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
Also does the Big 6 give a civilian pilot with experience as aircrew in the military preference over a regular civilian pilot?
Effectively No. In fact, in some hiring situations mil pilot attitudes and stereotypes towards back seaters might possibly work against you.

Frankly in the reserves I see more ship-driver/ground-pounder airline pilots than I ever see NFO's. I can actually think of exactly three NFO airline pilots that I've ever known.

But you do have an advantage, if you chose to make it work for you: The network. Keep it alive, and participate in the reserves in aviation units to maximize your networking opportunities with current airline pilots.

Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
Lastly will having military aircrew experience make up for not having a degree?
Not unless you're looking for a "career" at a regional airline. If the shortage gets bad enough that might change for civilian pilots in general, but we're not there yet. UAL has shown that they will hire 1500 CFI's before they yield on some of their other requirements... so a degree is worth more to them than turbine experience.