View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Asiabound
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: recliner

I haven't worked at FD, but have spent A LOT of time there and have a great group of friends from the states working for them. They seem pretty happy to be honest though the typical complaints include the rapidly increasing cost of living. If you consider the cost of rent, food, the new 5% VAT, etc, it's really not that much more than what you would get at a regional or ACMI. Make no mistake, Dubai is like Manhattan or South Beach in terms of cost, especially if you're going out a lot.

It's a fun place though, some of the hottest FA's I've ever seen. For being in the Middle East, Dubai is a crazy place for partying. I wouldn't recommend going there if you are married.

As for the schedule, my closest friend is a senior FO (been there a couple of yrs) and has a great schedule and doesn't work much and avoids most of the red-eyes. He really doesn't want to upgrade because of his QOL and the increased workload doesn't equate to the pay bump for him. The junior guys I guess get absolutely hammered. Two other acquaintances I made in our group over there are former COPA pilots from Panama, and didn't have anything nice to say about COPA.

I would really consider why it is you want to leave your current regional? If you're 25 and want to chase women it sounds like fun, besides that I think the US is the place to be. If you can believe it, no one I've talked to at FlyDubai seems to really want to go to EK right now, apparently the schedules are much worse. There's no United or Delta, working 10 days a month for $250,000 type flying to be had over there.

YMMV and Good Luck.