View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM
lazerball

All good advise, just a few negatives you need to weight into the equation. Sorry but just the facts. You say your 23 years old and a father and newly wed to be. So first, Congrats on becoming a father, it is by far the greatest joy and challenge of your life. That by the way is your first hurdle to jump in your flying career. There is alot of money in aviation, I know because I've put alot of it there. Flying is very expensive and so are diapers and baby formula. I don't know your particulars nor are they any of my business but don't forget insurance, the birth of a child is very expensive so you best have insurance to help for it or you will be paying for a long time in it. Also don't forget you need a place for your baby to sleep, bathe, and ofcourse clothing. Now back to the flying, your PPL wil cost somewhere in the ball park of $2000 to $4000, COMM, MEL, INST, and basic CFI around 20K to 25K. I haven't taken a flight lesson in a long time but last time I checked it was close to that. If I'm off the mark please let me know. OK so you got all your certificates/ratings, but you only have 250 to 300 hrs. Only job thats going to get you is a CFI in a C-152 , maybe a C-172 heavy. Now you have to teach for 800 or more hours just to get to 1000 hrs. Maybe you find someone to let you fly their light twin with them for a while or you go out and get a multi engine inst. certificate, more money out of your pocket, but ****** the baby needs more formula and and diapers or you need to pay that daycare, not cheap by the way. Well anyway you made it, you got your 1000 hrs. and now you finally get hired by a commuter making 18 to 20K a year. You get a raise the second your though, go up to 21K to 22K. Now you spend 3, 4, maybe even 5 years before you upgrade, one never knows. So how much time has gone by, 6 maybe 7 years before you get that major airline job. Congratulations, you are now making a full 30K a year. By the way, ask around 90K a year will not happen for a long time. With the way the industry is going and all the paycuts and FO at a major will see 90K after around 7 to 8 years.
I started my aviation career a long time ago, back when an hour in a C-152 was only $35, that by the way was a wet rate with a CFI. I have worked for a number of outfits including a major US carrier and been through a few furloughs, I have tons of pic and jet time and consider myself lucky to have a job making just over 50K as a capt on the smallest jet I have ever flown. The future is not looking all that great either, probably get called back to the majors to fly as an FO for another 5 years making 55 to 60K a year. But hey maybe I'll get to upgrade sometime in my last 5 years before I retire. Also I will have spent probably a 1/4 or more time away from my family and shortened my life by a few years because of lack of sleep. I will have slept in over 10,000 different hotel beds and spent 1000's on tips to van drivers and waiters at restaurants. I will also have worn out a few suitcases and flight bags.
Listen if flying is what you really want to do, GO FOR IT, I wish you all the best. But if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone to med school, at least I would make some money and not have to start at the bottom of a seniority list everytime I start at a new office, even better have my own office and be my own boss. Good luck with your new baby and bride, and remember this if nothing else I said, that first toothless smile is going to make you the happiest man alive