View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 03:59 AM
319wisperer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 Left

ACY is a decent little base. Easy in and out. Plenty of reserve coverage so dropping trips is not a problem there (at least on the captain side). Flying is mostly Florida and Midwest centric (I’ve seen MCO and CMH more then anyone ever deserves to), but there is a bit of variety (intl) occasionally. I have a feeling we will be getting quite a few of the new international overnights out of MCO (unless of course a MCO base is in the works).

My biggest gripe about the flying is the early starts and late finishes. Generally you are showing around 7am on day one and finishing around 10pm on your last day so Spirit gets a full 4 or so days of use out of you. From my experience and very generally speaking, most other bases tend to be late start, late finishes or early start early finishes.

I don’t think the base is going anywhere as it seems to work pretty well for Spirit. The line MX base is well established so with 4 or so RONs a night, it’s an ideal place for nightly MX checks. Flights are always full in and out and far less prone to delay than most airports in the region. And as mentioned, it’s limo distance to all of NKs airports basically between RIC and BDL should scheduling need an ACY reserve crew to rescue a flight in any of those cities.