View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Beta82
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008

Originally Posted by Baradium View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not an Alaska pilot

While I find it shocking that there are pilots doing that, they are doing it for PIC time. The poster seems to have enough of that now.

For the OP, even if QOL will be similar, at least Alaska is its own carrier. The former RJ pilots I've talked to jumpseating tend to say it is better than the regionals, even with all the problems.
Yes absolutely it’s better than a regional, from the same position. From a 12 year position who holds all weekends off, holidays off, days off with kids, max vacation accrual. Etc. This guy probably gets good non rev benefits with a major.

He’s going to step into years of reserve(remember we aren’t growing), stalled seniority progression, bad schedules once you get a line (12-13 days off), loss of decent non rev benefits, etc. IMHO it’s a huge sacrifice for somewhere you should be planning on leaving. Yes the pay is better but THAT’S IT. I’m only arguing that you should wait it out, do your carrer a favor. If you already lived in an AS base it might make sense, the the OP is talking about uprooting his life for mediocrity.