View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 01:42 PM
ecam
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by j3cub View Post
How long have you worked here and/or flown Florida routes? I have countless screenshots of flights we've done that overfly hurricanes and tropical storms. Just because some idiot at ATC Memes wants to hate doesn't mean it's unsafe. Unless you are right on the eye wall, the outer portions (especially on their west side, are pretty unimpressive). It's not usually difficult to top them and rarely is turbulence an issue.

When Irma was just southeast of Miami we operated all of our flights out of PGD and PIE. Guess what, our flights overlaid the western radar depictions. No big deal.

Fay, Beryl and Matthew come to mind as well. Stop making a big deal out of nothing.
I understand that, and there's a good chance I've flown through, over and around a lot of tropical systems all over the world in the 30 or so years I've been flying jets. Sometimes you just have no choice. The flight in question wasn't one of those times. He could have easily gone to the west like everyone else. He just chose to be macho.

Unfortunately, you completely missed the point. It doesn't matter that we know its okay, it's the media and the general public who get to be the judge jury and executioner. And it's not just that immature child at ATC memes, it's everywhere, even local TV stations are picking it up now in places where we have a presence. Allegiant is being watched and it's bad press. My point is THINK about the optics and how things like this paint the company if you still want to have a job. Those "idiots" who don't understand aviation pay our salaries. We aren't doing ourselves any favors by making them feel unsafe, regardless of how unfounded their fears actually are.