Thread: Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 04:43 AM
Frozen Ronin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Oil?

I don't read much chatter on oil prices, these days. The airline growth and low ticket prices were influenced greatly by OPEC's attempt to put the squeeze on domestic oil producers. This happened by dumping oil into the market at reduced prices. It caused domestics to scale back exploration and infrastructure investment, and the smaller outfits to close down. They are waiting for their time to cut production (prices jump). This won't be a blip on the budget sheet, this will be in a large scale, bottom line shakes thing, if history repeats itself. When this happens, tickets go up, ridership falls, airlines scale back and the pendulum swings the other way. I can't help but feel this is left out of so many conversations it belongs in? Sometimes I can't tell if I'm being old (cynical) or wise....

On the up side, it's nice to see fresh training going on. I've taken my first primary students in a over a decade. Professionals in their own fields, looking to enjoy aviation. The came to us because the schools aren't interested in adults looking to spend their cash on childhood pursuits or business needs. They are looking for the financed career chasing youth. Need to have room for both, in my opinion.

Safe travels to you all~