View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Theorganist92
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Update: I just returned home from my 8 am interview/COMPASS test with Lift. Staff team is super kind and accommodating. The facilities are beautiful. Coffee station at the front desk lounge. Looks like a very nice place to do class at. The test is tough - half is basic hand eye coordination, the other is a written math portion. No calculators are allowed. There was even a bit of electrical physics so I think there’s a fair bit here that everyone will struggle with somewhat here. Overall I think I did alright. Up next is to learn my score and the next steps for enrollment, if I take that path.

My next concern is still the finances… I’m considering even going further down the loan path and taking on an additional 30k to the training loan, just to pay off living expenses. There’s not really another way to do it. I have read over and considered the previous posts. I don’t want to do this, but at the same time, I have often asked myself, “if you continue to go out of pocket, life will happen to you, training will be put on hold, and possibly may never get done. Do you really want to do this? If yes, then you have the right to it, and you should do it. Loans, though not preferable, are available for this reason.” I understand the risks involved with loans, and I think that as long as I understand what I’m up against, and I plan carefully, I think I will be fine.

A friend of mine who is flying already, not in RPA but for a Part 135 cargo charter, just mentioned over the phone that I’ll be making 100k within five years. He said, “you might regret taking on the loan till you’re thirty, but after that, you’ll be happy you did.” I have my doubts in his statements. Maybe some current RPA guys might be able to reach out here on the current status/projected financial outlook of things?

Did some more research on Reserves training, which I’m trying to steer clear of. I think that it would be less emotional stress on the relationship if I take on the loan. USAF buddy of mine went over what I would be faced with. He mentioned that I would absolutely be deployed, I would be in the Middle East, I would be in combat zones, and I wouldn’t be able to come home if, say, a child was born.

It’s just too much for me, and I think the emotional stress on my wife-to-be would be at much more of a cost than a financial stress alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk