View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Sunvox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: EWR 777 Captain

Originally Posted by Varsity View Post
Now do one by departures.
First of all they don't post that statistic. Second of all it would still be a minor fraction especially when considered on a company by company basis. Your post has no factual basis, but yet you post and people who sympathize with your sentiment shake their head in agreement and the myth continues. Regionals represent a small piece of the pie and to think otherwise is simply not factual.

I am not trying to say mainline pilots are better than regional pilots. What I am trying to show with a simple factual chart is that regional flying is a small piece of the total flying especially when considered on a company by company basis, and what is worse is that the mainline companies have simply ravaged the regionals every few years to get the lowest cost possible for this feed.

When I was 23 I vowed I would never fly a jet for a non-mainline carrier. I got hired off a Beech 1900. If every pilot had the same opinion as mine regionals would never have had a place in history. I don't expect my Utopian view to be popular, but I just hope regional pilots of today can empathize a little better with mainline pilots. No one foresaw 9/11 or age 65 or the financial collapse of 2008 and THAT is really what enabled the 50 seaters and then the 70 seaters to proverbially Take Off. Today we should all be focused on reversing that trend regardless of where we work.