View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Photoflier
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by baseball View Post
Preach on my BROTHER!

Teach it and Preach it.

Each and every time there has been "scope relief" it caused two things to happen:

1. Provided only temporary financial relief to the airline. Why? Because the competion figures out a way to adapt.

2. Provided a permanent Screw Job to the pilots at the airline and to the profession at large.

The LOST DECADE in aviation was caused by "scope relief." If Joe Pilot wants to know why he had to fly an RJ around for garbage wages for 15 years, there's his answer....

Today's Jeopardy challenge Topic "scope relief." Shall we come up with some clever answers and provide the questions for today's Jeopardy Challenge?

I'll take Airline Flying for 200 Alex

1. The upcoming pilot shortage in America as well as stagnant wages, and poor career progression and reduced career expectations was the result of. What is "Scope Relief?"
The lost decade was caused by 9/11, a tanking economy, and age 65.

The scope relief that put CRJ1998’s Dad on the street was thanks to the 1113c process. He acts like it was some big money grab by the “greedy” United Pilots. This is the way the 1113c works. The company says “you’re going to bend over and take a monster paycut, relax scope, and destroy your retirement. And you’re going to LIKE it”. The pilots than have 2 choices: hold your nose and accept it, or let a judge decide. The same judge that had rubber stamped EVERY SINGLE request UAL had brought to the court. UAL’s finances were such that they had about 3 days of operating capital at one point. What they asked for, they got. Simply for survival thanks to the denial of the ATSB loan (twice). UAL couldn’t raise any capital at that point.

So was it a smart move by the pilots to accept the contract? I don’t know, but I’m pretty confident the scope we would have ended up with would have been what was on management’s emergency 1113c term sheet had we taken our chances with the judge: NO scope. CRJ1998’s Dad might not have liked it, and I don’t blame him. But we lived on to fight another day and he now has a pretty strong airline with a decent contract to come back to.

THAT’s the fact.